The role: Product Designer
You’ll work on the AppSignal product and help design new and redesign existing features. We have implemented a new design system over the last year, which we want to continue investing in over the next year. We believe this will pay off in productivity and a beautiful and consistent experience for our customers.
AppSignal is a product by and for developers. We love to actually ship things, and our product is full of interesting design challenges. You can also contribute by designing for our homepage, blog, and documentation. We’ll soon have another job opening for a brand designer, with whom you’ll work together closely.
Your level of experience
Please apply even if you doubt if you are experienced enough. We would hate to miss out on an amazing designer because you underestimated yourself!
Your design skills
Together with the product lead, you’ll take rough ideas and shape them into concrete changes within our product, focusing on fulfilling the user’s needs.
Design easy-to-use interfaces, working with the design system as much as possible. We try to keep our UI simple, clean and focused. It makes us happy when our customers compliment us on how beautiful our product looks.
It’s useful to know how designs are implemented. You don’t have to be a CSS wizard, but some knowledge of HTML/CSS (and maybe Tailwind CSS) is needed in working with our design system. If you’re new to front-end development or Tailwind, we’ll help you get to the right level.
Our tools of choice
- Tailwind CSS
- A bit of code
- GitHub (Projects)
- Slack, Zoom, Basecamp
- Shape Up
Shaping new features
The product manager (and the team) suggests new features and product improvements. You’ll help shape these rough ideas into more concrete proposals. This helps us decide what projects to include in the development cycles.
Designing new features
Once we decide that we’re building something, you’ll design more detailed mockups. We use our design system as much as possible. You’re responsible for creating new components or redesigning components. Developers will take these designs and start implementing them.
Maintaining the design system
AppSignal’s design system is your domain. Create new components, design UI patterns, and make sure that all the parts fit together perfectly.
Shape your own role
We’re a small team that ships great things, and there’s loads of flexibility to cater to your interests. We know creatives don’t like to sit still, and there are many areas to dive into:
- User research
- User testing
- Product metrics
- Frontend development
- A/B testing
What you have to offer
- You are a designer with at least three years of experience.
- Excellent English communication skills, in speaking and writing.
- You love (to start) working in a remote team.
- You love the idea of working on a data-heavy developer tool for power users.
- You like to work in a way that makes the world a bit better, in a team that tries to make things better for developers and ourselves every day.
- You like to work at an informal company (no, that’s not a codeword for chaos in the workplace; we’ve been running businesses since 2002).
- You like to work in a growing, profitable company with a proven business model and an experienced team.
- You like working with developers, designers, customer care folks, and finance people.
- You like to develop yourself. You can receive coaching from a coaching company, and we offer a personal development budget so you can keep learning.
What we have to offer
- Competitive salary, based on skills and experience.
- A MacBook that can handle 12 Figma tabs.
- Budget to rent a workplace because we believe remote working can be better when not-from-home.
- Unlimited vacation days (with a minimum of 20 days).
- Budget of EUR 500 a year to donate to a good cause of your choice to make the world a bit better.
- Personal budget of EUR 1200 a year for things like books, courses, conferences, etc.
- Room to grow: There are ongoing opportunities to learn more and take on new responsibilities.
- You’ll be employed directly at AppSignal, through an EOR, or long-term contracting based on your location and personal preferences.
- This is a remote job, but we meet (under normal, non-COVID circumstances) once a year in The Netherlands. You’re invited to join the rest of the team if you are able to (expenses covered).
We welcome people of all backgrounds, ages, genders, and orientations to apply for this position. Join us if you value a company where you can feel safe, and work with a diverse team. We want you to feel that you make a difference by doing your best work and that the rest of the team also sees and values that.
If you have any questions about what it’s like to work at AppSignal, you’re welcome to contact one of our internal counselors. Your questions will stay confidential, so they will not be shared internally, and will certainly not influence your hiring chances.
Why you’ll love working with us
If you like how we work together at AppSignal, you should apply. Our salaries are competitive, and we have some great perks, but our vision and culture should be the primary reason you want to work with us.